Two Dead, Four Hospitalized After Eating Wild Mushrooms

Sacramento, CA –Two people died and four others were put in the hospital after they ate soup with wild mushrooms.  Sheriff’s deputies responded to a call around 10:00 a.m. to the Gold Age Villa, a care home for the elderly.  A caregiver at the facility prepared the meal with the mushrooms that she had harvested herself.  She was one of the people who were hospitalized after eating the mushrooms.  Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, both residents at the facility, died.  The other three who were hospitalized were also residents.  Eating wild mushrooms can cause cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, and liver and kidney failure.  In 2009 and 2010 there were 1,700 reported cases of mushroom poisoning.  Only 19 of those were serious, and there were only two deaths.  The Department of Social Services is investigating the incident.  Gold Age Villa is a residential care home for six residents age 60 and over.  If you have had a loved one die or become injured while they were a patient at a residential home, contact a Sacramento elder abuse lawyer to review your case and answer any legal questions or concerns you may have.